Tuesday, May 8, 2018

Cyril of Jerusalem, Lecture 14, Part A


Cyril of Jerusalem

Lecture 14, Part A


Now I make known unto you, brethren, the gospel which I preached unto you.... that He has been raised on the third day according to the Scriptures….” — 1 Corinthians 15:1-4


Summary: St. Cyril now cites testimonies and witnesses providing evidence for the Resurrection; which call us to rejoicing.  It is the spiritual spring of the universe; winter is behind us.  Rejoice daughter Zion!  Rejoice Jerusalem!  Rejoice greatly!”  Again, I say rejoice!”


Preview:  1.  Rejoice, O Jerusalem, … for He is risen.  Rejoice, all you that mourned[i] … for He who was spitefully entreated of them in this place is risen again.  As … the Cross was sorrowful … let the good tidings of the Resurrection bring joy….  because of Him, who after His resurrection, said Rejoice.”  “Now, therefore, the Dead is risen, He who was free among the dead , and the deliverer of the dead[ii].  He who in dishonor wore patiently the crown of thorns, even He arose, and crowned Himself with the diadem of His victory over death.”[iii]  2.  As then we set forth the testimonies concerning His Cross, so come let us now verify the proofs of His Resurrection also: since the Apostle before us affirms, He was buried, and has been raised on the third day according to the Scriptures.”  in order that when the Gospels are read, the narratives of these holy Scriptures may not be thought fables nor rhapsodies.”  3.  You have heard details of His burial.  “But now let the testimonies concerning His resurrection itself go with us on our way.”  4.  For the misery of the poor, and the sighing of the needy, now will I arise, says the Lord.”[iv]  Preserve Me, O Lord, for in You have I put my trust … their assemblies of blood will I not join, nor make mention of their names between my lips … I foresaw the Lord always before Me, because He is at My right hand, that I may not be moved … Yea and even until night my reins chastened me … For You will not leave My soul in hell ; neither will You allow Your Holy One to see corruption.”[v]  I will extol You, O Lord, for You have lifted Me up, and hast not made My foes to rejoice over Me.”[vi]  O Lord, You have brought up My soul from hell.”[vii]  5.  For with You is the fountain of life.”[viii]  6.  Prepare yourself, be rising at the dawn: all their gleaning is destroyed.”[ix]  Therefore wait thou for Me, says the Lord, until the day of My Resurrection at the Testimony.”[x]  7.  For then will I turn to the peoples a language.”[xi]  From beyond the rivers of Ethiopia they shall bring me offerings.”[xii]  With such [prophecies] of the Resurrection and the signs that followed, confess “Christ risen from the dead.”[xiii]  8.  O Lord, God of My salvation, I have cried day and night before YouI became as it were a man without help, free among the dead.”[xiv]  And unto You have I cried, O Lord; and in the morning shall my prayer come before You.”[xv]  9.  He came forth from a cave in the rock.[xvi]  10.  “The winter is past, the rain is past and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the pruning has come.”[xvii]


[i] Isaiah 66:10

[ii] Note that the expression, “the deliverer of the dead,” clearly claims that Christ descended into Hell; spoiled Hell; and brought up all of the righteous dead, from Adam and Eve onward, out of Hell, and into Paradise.  He conquered, He trampled down death by death.

[iii] ΙΣ ΧΣ ΝΙΚΑ

[iv] Psalms 11:5 Septuagint; Psalms 12:5

[v] Psalms 15:1, 4, 8, 7, 10 Septuagint; Psalms 16:…

[vi] Psalms 29:1 Septuagint; Psalms 30:1

[vii] Psalms 29:3 Septuagint; Psalms 30:3

[viii] Psalms 35:9 Septuagint; Psalms 36:9

[ix] Zephaniah 3:7

[x] Zephaniah 3:8

[xi] Zephaniah 3:9

[xii] The Ethiopian eunuch… Zephaniah 3:10

[xiii] 2 Timothy 2:8

[xiv] Psalms 87:1, 4-5 Septuagint; Psalms 88:1, 4-5

[xv] Psalms 87:13 Septuagint; Psalms 88:13

[xvi] Song of Solomon 2:14

[xvii] Song of Solomon 2:11-13

No comments:

Post a Comment