Friday, August 10, 2012

Spiritual Vision


A Vision for the Twenty-first Century Church

Beloved Congregation of the Lord Jesus Christ, meeting anywhere on earth:

Grace, mercy and peace to you from God our Father; from our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, who has set us free from every worldly slavery; and from the Holy Spirit, who gives light to our candles so that we may enlighten the world, and be the light bearers of God’s glory to the needy world around us.  May God grant us good success in all that we do in obedience to Him.

Are you in need of renewed vision?

I would like to chat with you about a vision for the Church in the twenty-first century.  This is a serious matter of great concern since the Scripture teaches,

"Where there is no vision, the people perish ... (Proverbs 29:18).”

This seems like such a simple matter to discuss, the above quotation is from the King James.  Then I looked up the New King James.

"Where there is no revelation, the people cast off restraint ...”

This seemed like a completely new idea, so I got out my Orthodox Study Bible, because it is a Greek based translation.  Then I got out my Greek Old Testament, my Hebrew Old Testament, and a few other things.  Things just went downhill from there.  Finally, I called a friend, and laid out my whole study.  “Brother,” he said, “You’ve just lost the forest in the trees.”  Well, that’s not an exact quote, but you get the general idea.  An hour later, we both had a much better grip on God’s Holy Word.

As it turns out the footnote of my faithful King James that leads me to 1 Samuel 3:1, already has the key, the same Hebrew word is used here as in Proverbs 29:18, and it definitely means a Prophetic Vision.

Now, we recall that in Samuel’s and Solomon’s day, people expected to hear from God in person.  The fiery pillar and the cloud of smoke showed God’s true presence, and the chief priests and prophets, even some kings, were used to talking with God, in the tent for Samuel and in the temple for Solomon.  But Eli was a bad man, who did not restrain his wicked children.

Eli didn’t get to talk to God anymore, if he ever did.  He had to sleep outside, and had no visions, no Prophetic Word.  We know that Eli had to sleep outside, because verses 2 and 3 say that Eli was in his place, but Samuel was where the Ark of God was.  Samuel was sleeping in the Most Holy Place, but Eli was banished at least to the Holy Place, and perhaps even to the outer court.  In the intimacy of the Most Holy Place, God starts to chat with Samuel.  Samuel thinks that Eli is calling him; Samuel has to run out to find out what’s happening.  After three trips in and out, Samuel understands that he is having a Prophetic Vision.  God is talking to him.  God has replaced Eli with Samuel.

In chapter 4, we learn that Eli’s wicked sons are dead, the Ark is captured, Eli breaks his neck, and his daughter-in-law dies giving birth to Ichabod, The-Glory-Has-Departed.

So, the meaning of Proverbs 29:18 is now very clear.  When a people are so bad that the Prophetic Vision is taken away, they break the law more and more, and disastrous things happen.  They do indeed perish.  But when people stand guard over the law, and watch for it the same way a night sentry watches over a city at war, then good things happen, and rejoicing takes place.

Now, we have such a Great High Priest, Who has brought us His own Prophetic Vision.  So great is the Vision that His name is called the WORD of God, and we have learned that all the little words, the Word of God, in our Bibles came from Him.  We also know that He is the One Who fulfills these words.  He is the Lord Jesus Christ and He has certified His words to us by His resurrection from the dead.

I hope that you have not become weary.  I hope that the cares of this life and the deceitfulness of riches have not begun to choke your lives, so that you are terrified, because you were becoming unfruitful (Matthew 13).  I don’t know.  I don’t have a crystal ball.  I can’t see inside people.  But I perceive that something is wrong.  America is hurting.  I get it.  I really do.  Our whole nation is hurting.  Our whole nation is turning away from the Word of God.  We, as a nation, are sinning more and more.  Soon our Prophetic Vision, the Lord Jesus Christ may be taken away from us, and we will surely sink into the abyss of disaster.

Not long ago, I was taken, in the cares of this life and the deceitfulness of riches.  They began to choke out my life, and I was terrified, because I became unfruitful.  But God in His grace is giving me a new chance.  So whether you call me or not, I will preach Christ, and Him crucified.  I will preach by letter, by voice, by every means possible.  And when I die, may the Father find me with a firm grip on my Bible with one hand, on the pulpit with the other hand, and on Christ with my whole heart, with my feet firmly planted on the only foundation, God’s Prophetic Vision in the Body and Blood of Jesus Christ.

Get up!  Get up!  Blow the trumpets!  Sound the Alarms!  Light your candles!  Trim their wicks!  Fill your lamps with rich oil!  It may be too late.  We may go down.  But by God’s grace and mercy, we will go down swinging.  We will fight the good fight.  We will hear, “Well done, good and faithful servants.”  We will refuse to play the foolish virgin game with God.  We will not be healed of our leprosy, only to be unthankful.

Beloved Congregation of the Lord Jesus Christ, meeting anywhere on earth:  This is my vision for you and for the pastor you call in the twenty-first century.  May God richly bless you.  Amen.

Yours in Christ,
Herb Swanson

No comments:

Post a Comment