Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Let’s Take Nicea Apart, Part I

I hate to admit it, but we Christians even have a hard time agreeing about something as basic as the Nicene Creed.  So let’s examine it one sentence, and if we have to, one phrase or one word at a time.
Yesterday, I was pleasantly surprised to hear a Roman Catholic recitation of the Nicene Creed.  I probably stumbled on it in Facebook or Twitter, and it snapped my neck, so I looked it up.  Here’s where I found it: http://www.beginningcatholic.com/catholic-nicene-creed.html.  This is what the first sentence says:
“We believe in one God, the Father, the Almighty, maker of heaven and earth, and of all that is, seen and unseen.”
Wow, that’s almost exactly the same as my translation.  I’m actually on the same page as somebody else.  Wow!  In fact I don’t see any significant differences at all.  Let’s look at it in greater detail:
·         The first Greek word in the creed is “Pisteúomen,” “We believe.”  Wow!  Absolutely!  “Let’s build something together.”  Let’s work at this together until we get it right.  Amen!
·         The Roman Catholic translation has articles (the) stuck in, but mine does not.  No big deal here.  What’s a “the” or two between friends; although, they’re not there in the Greek text.  My only serious objection to the two extra articles is that they soften some of the 3P Poetic Punch.  Like I said, “It’s no big deal.”  We don’t know how to put the Poetic Punch into English anyway.
·         The Greek text has Poetic Punch in the three names of God: Patéra, Pantokrátora, Poiētén.  Now, if somebody could only come up with a way to bring that 3P Poetic Punch into the English language.  That would take a literary genius.  Nobody has ever done it before.  Oh well, that’s why we study foreign languages (like King James English).
·         Why did I insert a comma after Poiētén?  No big deal either.  I did it for the same reason that I capitalized Poiētén, Maker.  I wanted to bring out the idea that this is a third name for God.  I wanted to emphasize the Trinitarian Name, just as I want to emphasize the Trinitarian God.  3 Ps pack a lot of poetic punch.
·         There is another reason for the comma.  The phrases are three dimensional.
o   Dimension One: God’s Names — “Patéra, Pantokrátora, Poiētén”
o   Dimension Two: God’s Creation of the physical material universe — “heaven and earth”
o   Dimension Three: God’s Relationship between the physical and the spiritual — “seen and unseen” or “visible and invisible” (potāto/potăto, nobody cares)
I think that there is something really cool going on here:
·         God is the Father of heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible.
·         God is the Almighty [Lord] of heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible.
·         God is the Maker of heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible.
There is something else really cool here: If this were the only consideration on the table, there is not one single thing in this sentence that would keep me from being Roman Catholic, Orthodox, or Protestant: any one of the 30,000 denominations in this world.  Almost every one of them has nearly the same words in their doctrinal statement.
There is one dissenting voice that I can think of: those folks who believe that Adam matured to become God, but they’re not even Christians.

No comments:

Post a Comment