Wednesday, August 14, 2013

The Common Union


The Common Union

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

The Source of the Question


http://orthodoxyandheterodoxy.org/2013/08/14/the-doctrine-of-transubstantiation-in-the-orthodox-church/


A Lively and Informative Discussion


Although this is a lively and informative discussion: when read to the last word we discover:

“In the end, while I appreciate the aim of Dr. Dunn’s post, I think on this particular point he has overstated his case.

“As Orthodox Christians, we must be careful to balance and nuance our claims, especially with regards to the Latins or “the West.” The last thing we want to do is oversimplify matters to the extent of seeming deceptive or—perhaps worse—misinformed. After all, this is typically what gets thrown our way from those unfamiliar with Orthodoxy (beyond literature), often justly putting us on the “defensive” (an important distinction from “triumphalism”) in response to such misrepresentations. That being said, I’m open to feedback if anyone (Roman or Orthodox) thinks I’ve misrepresented one side or the other in this article.”

This, I believe is the crux of the problem.  Nearly everyone has overstated the case.

What is the Case?


Here is the clear statement of the case.

“As they were eating, Jesus took bread, and blessed it, broke it, gave it to the disciples, and said, ‘Take, eat; this is[1] My body.’  He took the cup, gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, ‘All of you[2] drink from it: for this is1 My blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.  But I say to you, I will not drink henceforth of this fruit of the vine, until that day when I drink it new with you in My Father's kingdom.’ ”[3]

“And as they ate, Jesus took bread, blessed, broke, gave it to them, and said, ‘Take, eat: this is1 My body.’  He took the cup, when He had given thanks, He gave it to them, and they all drank of it.2  He said to them, ‘This is1 My blood of the new testament, which is shed for many.  Verily I say to you, I will drink no more of the fruit of the vine, until that day that I drink it new in the kingdom of God.’ ”[4]

“He said to them, ‘With desire I have desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer: for I say to you, I will not eat any more thereof, until it be fulfilled in the kingdom of God.’  He took the cup, gave thanks, and said, ‘Take this, and divide it among yourselves: for I say to you, I will not drink of the fruit of the vine, until the kingdom of God shall come.’  He took bread, gave thanks, broke, and gave it to them, saying, ‘This is1 My body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of Me.’  Likewise, also the cup after supper, saying, ‘This cup [is][5] the new testament in My blood, which is shed for you.’ ”[6]

“Jesus answered them and said, ‘Verily, verily, I say to you, You seek Me, not because you saw the miracles, but because you ate of the loaves, and were filled.  Labor not for the meat which perishes, but for that meat which endures to everlasting life, which the Son of man shall give to you: for Him has God the Father sealed.’

“Then said they to Him, ‘What shall we do, that we might work the works of God?’

“Jesus answered and said to them, ‘This is the work of God, that you believe on Him whom He has sent.’

“Therefore, they said to Him, ‘Then what sign do You show, that we may see, and believe You?  What do You work?  Our fathers ate manna in the desert; as it is written, “He gave them bread from heaven to eat.” ’[7]

“Then Jesus said to them, ‘Verily, verily, I say to you, Moses gave you not that bread from heaven; but My Father gives you the true bread from heaven: for the bread of God is He Who comes down from heaven, and gives life to the world.’

“Then said they to Him, ‘Lord, evermore give us this bread.’

“Jesus said to them, ‘I am the bread of life.  He that comes to Me shall never hunger; and he that believes on Me shall never thirst.  But I say to you, That you also have seen Me, and believe not.  All that the Father gives Me shall come to Me; and he who comes to Me I will in no wise cast out.  For I came down from heaven, not to do My own will, but the will of Him that sent Me.  This is the Father's will, Who has sent Me, that of all whom He has given Me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.  This is the will of Him Who sent Me, that every one who sees the Son, and believes on Him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.’

“The Jews then murmured at Him, because He said, ‘I am the bread which came down from heaven.’  They said, ‘Is not this Jesus, the son of Joseph, whose father and mother we know?  How is it then that He says, “I came down from heaven?” ’

“Therefore, Jesus answered and said to them, ‘Murmur not among yourselves.  No man can come to Me, except the Father Who has sent Me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.  It is written in the prophets, “And they shall be all taught of God.”  Every man therefore that has heard, and has learned of the Father, comes to Me.  Not that any man has seen the Father, save He which is of God, He has seen the Father.  Verily, verily, I say to you, He that believes on Me has everlasting life.  I am that bread of life.  Your fathers did eat manna in the wilderness, and are dead.  This is the bread which comes down from heaven, that a man may eat thereof, and not die.  I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live forever: and the bread that I will give is My flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.’

“The Jews therefore strove among themselves, saying, ‘How can this man give us His flesh to eat?’

“Then Jesus said to them, ‘Verily, verily, I say to you, Except you eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink His blood, you have no life in you.[8]  Whoso eats My flesh, and drinks My blood, has eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.  For My flesh is meat indeed, and My blood is drink indeed.  He that eats My flesh, and drinks My blood, dwells in Me, and I in him.  As the living Father has sent Me, and I live by the Father: so he that eats Me, even he shall live by Me.  This is that bread which came down from heaven: not as your fathers did eat manna, and are dead: he that eats of this bread shall live forever.’ ”[9]

“The cup of blessing which we bless, is1 it not the communion of the blood of Christ?  The bread which we break, is1 it not the communion of the body of Christ?  For we being many are one bread, and one body: for we are all partakers of that one bread.’ ”[10]

“For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered to you, that the Lord Jesus the same night in which He was betrayed took bread: And when He had given thanks, He broke it, and said, ‘Take, eat: this is1 My body, which [is] broken for you: this do in remembrance of Me.’  After the same manner also He took the cup, when He had supped, saying, ‘this cup is1 the new testament in My blood: this do you, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me.’  For as often as you eat this bread, and drink this cup, you do show the Lord's death till He come.  Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.  But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup.  For he who eats and drinks unworthily, eats and drinks damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.8  For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep.  For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged.  But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world.[11]

In addition:

“I believe, Lord, and I confess that You are truly the Christ, the Son of the Living God, who came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am chief.  I believe also that this is[12] truly Your most pure Body, and that this is12 truly Your most precious Blood.  Therefore I pray to You, Have mercy on me and forgive me my transgressions, committed in word and deed, whether consciously or unconsciously.  Make me worthy to partake without condemnation of Your most pure Mysteries, for the remission of sins and unto life everlasting.  Of Your Mystical Supper, O Son of God, accept me today as a communicant.  I will not speak of Your Mystery to Your enemies, neither like Judas will I give You a kiss; but like the thief will I confess You: "Remember me, Lord, in Your Kingdom."  May the communion of Your Holy Mysteries be neither to my judgment, nor to my condemnation, Lord, but to the healing of my soul and body.”[13]

Other Observations


None of the evidence cited is earlier than 1054 AD.

·       1376 — Council of Trent

·       1413 — reinforcement of Trent

·       1633-47 — Metropolitan Peter Mogila

·       1672 — Patriarch Dositheus

·       1830 — St. Philaret’s Catechism

One last quote from the Gabe Martini paper.

“In the rare cases where the Orthodox Church has responded to the arguments of the Reformers, the word transubstantiate is used to clarify the Orthodox position, in contradistinction from the positions of both Luther and Calvin (among others). However, this has never risen to the level of dogma, nor has it been ecumenically mandated. In other words, the Orthodox clergy were (wisely) using the words of their own day to differentiate themselves from the Protestants, while not necessarily painting themselves into a dogmatic corner. And it should be noted too that Scholasticism itself is not wholly foreign to Orthodoxy, nor is it exclusive of the West.”[14]

Conclusions


Obviously, some change has taken place.  The bread, wine, and warm water that were placed in the cup are now Body, Blood, and the warmth of the Holy Ghost.  This is not magic, it is mystery.  How and when does this take place?  I do not know either how or when this takes place.

Is this transubstantiation or consubstantiation?  I can neither confirm nor deny what I cannot and do not know or understand.  In attempting to explain what I cannot know, I am in danger of committing the sin of trespass.  It is better that I confess my ignorance and remain silent.

Is this transmutation?  Transmutation means the same thing as transubstantiation.  It is not a constructive term.

Is confecting involved?  Nothing was mentioned about confecting, so it is impossible to say.

Who holds such power?  Only God has such power.  Because the Holy Ghost is given to the Church, we believe that He is the active agent of change.

Is anything else involved?  Yes.  I eat this Body and Blood with faith in Jesus Christ, in God the Father, and in the Holy Ghost.  I do this with the express desire that I may, by God’s grace, become more and more like Jesus my Savior, every day.  I receive His Word in similar manner,[15] in full realization that God is calling me to suffer in Christ.[16]

Finally


Why must we continue to dispute what we cannot and do not know?



[1] ἐστίν Present indicative active, third person singular of εἰμί: he, she, or it is.  It becomes would be γίνεται, which indicates an act of creation.
[2] Even Judas, who also drank from it and was damned.  Judas is called the son of perdition (John 17:12).
[3] Matthew 26:26-29
[4] Mark 14:22-25
[5] There is no verb here in Greek.
[6] Luke 22:15-20
[7] The heavenly sign proving that Jesus is sent from God is His Body and Blood which will replace the manna.
[8] This shows that whatever we eat and drink by faith in Communion is already True Body and True Blood.  It is not necessary that we either explain or understand this.  It is called The Mystery because it is impossible to explain or understand.
[9] John 6:26-58
[10] 1 Corinthians 10:16-17
[11] 1 Corinthians 11:23-32
[12] The word, becomes, is not found here either.
[13] Common Orthodox communion prayer.
[14] We agree that it is best to be silent.
[15] Which is to say that the Holy Ghost engraves the words of the Word in me, just as He implants the Body and Blood in me.  The Holy Ghost makes effective in my life, that which is humanly impossible.
[16] 2 Timothy 3:12-17

No comments:

Post a Comment